Admission to a nursery school or class attached to a primary school
Three and four year old children can go to nursery classes attached to primary or nursery schools in Hackney. The age your child can go depends on the number of places available. All three and four year olds are eligible for free early years education, usually 15 hours a week. Some working parents will be eligible for a full-time place (30 hours per week). Parents who wish to be considered for a full-time place will need to check their eligibility the school term before their child is due to start nursery. This can be done online at www.gov.uk/childcare-calculator. Eligible parents will receive a code which must be given to the school before the closing date for applications.
How to apply
- Contact at least three of your preferred schools when your child is two years old (please note, applying early does not give priority over later applications)
- If applying for a free 30 hours childcare place, you will need to meet the eligibility criteria to qualify as described above, otherwise your child will be considered for a part-time place.
- Fill in a Nursery Application Form
- Provide proof of address with your application form
If more children require a nursery place than there are places available, the Headteacher will give out the places in the following order:
- Children in public care or subject to a child protection plan who live in the area
- Children with an educational, medical or social need for a nursery place
- Children whose parents can take up or stay in a teaching post in one of our schools
- Children with brothers and sisters already at the school (includes foster and step brothers and sisters living at the same address)
- Children living nearest to the school in a straight line from their home address or their child-minder’s address
What happens next
- The school will write to you before your child is due to attend to let you know if they have a place
- If your child is offered a place, the school will also need to see your child’s birth certificate to confirm their date of birth
Nursery classes at voluntary aided schools
- The governing body of each religious school is responsible for admissions to their nursery class
- Contact the school to find out if they have offered you a place and the start date
- Complete and return a supplementary information form if you want your application to be considered under the faith priorities
Appeal against nursery place decision
There is no right of appeal against admission decision for a nursery place in a school.
- See other information relating to children’s centres and childcare